Kobe

Kobe
Kobe, Japan

Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 31 - Our Babies

So guess what? We got a new Spanish speaking investigator! We taught him on Saturday after playing soccer with one of our other investigators. He`s a nice guy, says he`s Catholic but wants to learn more about Jesus Christ. He`s only studied the Bible and read a little bit from the Book of Mormon and wants to learn more. I love when people love the Book of Mormon! We went to a Potential Investigator`s house a couple days ago for tea (she made us herbal tea of course!). It turned into a giant scripture study which was rough because she`s a Jehovah`s Witness and their Bible is different from KJV. After studying with her it really motivated me to study the Bible more. I love the Bible because of all the stories of Christ. I was reading in Mark 5 when he raised Talitha from the dead. Christ says in verse 34 `And he charged them straitly that no man should know it; and commanded that something should be given her to eat.` I found it very interesting because almost every time Christ heals someone He tells people not to say anything to anyone about it. To me, Christ`s humility is a major attribute I need to acquire while I am out here on my mission. He also commands that this girl be given something to eat. I know this may seem like such a simple passage but I really admire Christ`s consideration for her comfort…another attribute I need to learn!

Dinner at Bishop`s last night. Chinese food. It was AWESOME. We love Bishop Hayashi and his family :)
As we`ve focused everything we do (as a mission) on Christ, I realized we can`t wear Christ`s name every day and NOT have His attributes. That doesn`t just apply to missionaries. When we are baptized we covenant to take upon us His name. We don`t need a tag for that. All of us have Christ`s name and we can`t honestly carry His name and not have some of His attributes. `Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ;...`

Moroni points out that we need to be perfect IN Him. We can`t just go around Him, over Him or under Him; we must be IN Christ, and He in us, if we want His grace. Our investigator told us on Saturday that `If I put my faith in a table, I can only do things to the extent of a table. But if I put my faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ I can do the things that they can do.` And she`s so right! Where we put our faith is exactly where our potential lies. Christ didn`t just die for us so that we could be forgiven of our sins. He died so that we could have a chance to become like our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for that, and I am so grateful our investigators are starting to understand that as well.

I love our investigators! They`re kind of like our babies. We find them, begin to teach them, and delight in watching them take their first steps in the gospel. One of our investigators, a 68 year old lady who is crazy and LOVES the chorotachi (elders), was waiting for us after our meeting on Sunday. The Stake President came to say hi to us, he shook our (me and Hall shimai) hands, and he gave the Elders hugs. Our investigator saw that and said, `I want a hug too!` And she literally jumped on one of the Elders! Haha, it was so funny! My companion and I were dying of laughter as members and the Stake President tried their hardest to pull her off of the elder! We talked with her afterward about how she can shake the elders` hands but she can`t hug them. It`s only funny because they just don`t know any better. I love being able to watch our investigators` testimonies grow as they learn line upon line, precept upon precept.

Our friend took us to a Hawaiian restaurant this week...it was LEGIT!
I am STILL learning how to develop Christ`s attributes. Our investigators are discovering them, too. And I have already seen what a difference it makes in the lives of our investigators when they apply Christ`s attributes. I have already seen a change in myself as I learn how to be humble, exercise patience, become diligent. If you have time later, please read John 14. My favorite part is the last verse and it says, `But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.`

How`s everyone doing? Is dad feeling better? Seriously mom, I am so blessed with such awesome family and such awesome friends. I love them so much! I love you guys! Thank you for taking care of yourselves. Keep it up. By the time I get home you and dad will be in better shape than me...I swear a mission gives you baggy eyes, white hairs, and sleepless nights...is this what it`s like being a parent?!

Gotta run. Love you mama :) Are the boys still crazy and having jam sessions on the weekends? I hope so! They gotta have fun while they`re young. I love you guys, I think about you guys often. But not too often ;) Sorry this email is short, but it`s actually sunny today and I`d rather be out there than in here. Love you! Until next week.......

Love always,

Sister Heimuli

I ate poke and rice! I haven`t had poke and rice in ages. The woman that owns the restaurant said that she used to dance in a halau by UH and she lived in Hawaii. Her English is perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment