Kobe

Kobe
Kobe, Japan

Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 64 - Since You NEVER Emailed Me!

[Note from Mom: Checked my email fairly early on a hectic Sunday night.  Read this title.  Heart dropped.]

I`ve been a missionary for almost 15 months. I`ve seen a lot, experienced so much, and learned countless things.

Photobomber Elder Harris, now you see him, now you don't.
But I have to say that what I love MOST about being a missionary, is watching people feel the Spirit. It might sound kind of funny, but it`s true. As a missionary, watching people change and be moved by the Spirit, is like watching the World Cup or Superbowl for sports fanatics. Except, it`s not that crazy, noisy WOOOHOOOO! feeling, but a deeper, silent excitement that hits you down to your very soul.

We visited a Less Active couple who hasn`t stepped foot in a church for over 15 years. The husband is pretty against going back to church. They had us over for dinner a couple weeks ago so we decided to stop by just to say Thank You. When we did, they let us right in. We talked and laughed, and they also showed us pictures from their baptism and when they were sealed in the temple. They both recognize how important the gospel is but they`re just exhausted and don`t want to put in the effort anymore. A few months ago I wrote my own version of "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" mashed with Aunty Tina`s "Walk Within His Light," so I decided to play and sing it for them. At the end of the song, the husband was crying. He told us he`s never felt so close to Jesus Christ since leaving the church. I invited him to come back to church just one more time...and he and his wife AGREED! They will be coming to church on November 9th so please, please pray for them!
Sister Crofts is seriously so talented!
Last night we visited a LA brother and his family. His wife is not a member and they have a 6 year old son. We talked with them for a bit and they fed us delicious Okonomiyaki. This brother loves the violin, and Sister Crofts is a pro, so she played some hymns for them. We sang "I Am a Child of God" and knelt in prayer with them before we left. As I opened my eyes at the end of the prayer, I looked at this Brother and saw tears rolling down his cheeks.

We have an investigator who says that if she can keep the commandments she`ll get baptized. But she has a problem with coffee. I said a quick prayer in my heart at that point in the lesson, then I told her that if she handed me all the coffee in  her house, and promised to never drink it for the rest of her life, then I would give up chocolate. Chocolate. I know. It is a big deal. And she agreed. And that is a huge deal! But the miracle was that in every lesson I taught her over the previous transfer she always said, `No, it`s impossible.` and `No, I can`t give up coffee.` But I know it is because of the Holy Ghost that she was able to hear more than just the `And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly` part of the commandment, but she also heard the `Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.`(Psalms 119:2)

What is it that brings grown men to tears? What causes a change of heart? What teaches people words that man cannot say? The Spirit. I watch the Spirit move people to do things that are considered impossible. I`ve seen the Spirit change fellow missionaries. I`ve seen the Spirit change me. All of God`s children feel the Spirit differently, but if you watch people as they feel the Spirit, I promise it`ll be an experience you`ll never forget! 

The Spirit also helped us as we were teaching a sister who`s been less active for 25 years. She`s agreed to work towards taking the sacrament again. 

Like Elder Klebingat says, `Have the Faith that precludes steady streams of tender mercies and miracles.` 

Believe the Spirit will soften those hearts around you. Believe the Lord is working a miracle for you. All miracles are only possible through the Spirit, and I look forward to another week full of the miracle of seeing changed hearts this week! You can all see miracles too. Just have the faith to do. The Spirit will do the rest!

Love you all so much! Thanks for your prayers and love in my behalf. I feel them every day.

Love always,


Sister Heimuli

No comments:

Post a Comment